January 29, 2015

MILON BANGLADHESHI RESTAURANT (PANNA ll), NEW YORK CITY


The Sixth Street Strip of Indian Dining was Rampant at one point but now has dwindled greatly. I was determined to visit the longstanding "Sonar Goaan" but they have since vanished as well have most of the Indian Restaurants amongst their Ilk as they stood side by side like a Mighty Tribe of Basmati Rice Warriors and Kings of Spice.


Many restaurants stood with their gates down and I can only hope they are open for the late night Dinner crowd.


Sixth street and second avenue has been landmarked Bill Graham's way due to the fact that the legendary Fillmore East stood here. I wonder if Bill Graham enjoyed a nice plate of Curry not to mention after show excursions by The Mothers of Invention, Jefferson Airplane and The Grateful Dead to mention but a few of EVERYONE who performed at this hallowed venue.

The site of the Fillmore East is currently a savings bank.


Part one of my Lunch Special ($7.95) was Papadum and Soup. Pictured above are the standard Toppings which are (from 10 o'clock clockwise) Tamarind Sauce, Onions and Coriander Sauce.


What do you get when you top a Papadum Chip with another one ? A Papadum.

Here enhanced by Onions and Coriander Sauce.

The name Papadum originates from the Tamil word "pappatam"


Mulligatawny Soup, a standard favorite of mine.

Sometimes served with Lemon and Coriander on top, This one wasn't but I finished every last drop.

Mulligatawny Soup is a British Recipe deriving from an Indian sauce the name is from the Tamil words "mullaga/milagu" and "thanni" which is translated as Pepper Water.


The Samosa, in this case a Meat one, the Vegetable Samosa is more popular so I often go with the underdog.

Samosa goes by many different names but Samosa is based off of the Persian word "sanbosag"


Now its time for The Main Event. I ordered another standby of mine which is Chicken Tikka Masala served with Dal (Sanskrit for "to split" as this is split pea based) and Basmati Rice (deriving from Sanskrit word Vasmati which means "fragrant").

I have had better and there is no such thing as worse meaning Tikka Masala is Always Great, either way I Loved it and even got some for takeaway.


For afters a Scoop of Mango Ice Cream. YUM.


The festive lighting which adorns the entire room. It's Christmas all year round in this place.


Either they're misspelling Samosa or I have been for all these years.


The facade of what I am almost sure was Panna ll which is now Milon. I mentioned to my waiter that I remember Panna l (which was around the corner) and he knew exactly what I was talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment