December 31, 2013

NEW YEARS EVE 2013


My Manifesto was to procure some Rice Balls & Prosciutto Balls to contribute to the bounty at the Moroni household on New Years Eve 2013 but my plans were thwarted, I hate for that to sound so typical in these times but too much of my time was spent in Lioni's on the corner which in hindsight was time well spent. When you compare 3 Delicious Hero Sandwiches (Actually 2 Hero's as one went to the help) to a few Rice Balls, Well you weigh that out on your own. 

Papa Pasquale opened just a few doors down from the famed Lioni's after my previous employer Gus (who was the mastermind of Papa's) closed down his glass shop that my friend Roy and myself worked at during the summer months and I felt it was a bold move. I mean basically copying what Lioni had laid ground to after all, they still seem to be dwindled greatly by the Powerhouse with a rep on the corner, Pasquale's is running but always empty whenever I am there, who knows, whatever. 

Gus was a very colorful cigar smoking and lawn chair sitting fellow and I will never forget the morning when I cheerfully said to him "Good Morning Gus" to which he replied "Why Don't You Go Eff Yourself!!!" Glorious days indeed. 

So Papa Pasquale gets the Photo Op at the top of this post mostly because of the love I have for my former employer but also because Lioni's Win's in every other way and does have header photo's on this Blog elsewhere and to come I am sure (Papa does make the better Rice Ball though).


I did snap a quick pic of the Papa Sandwich Menu as displayed on the street, My apologies the Ingredients are not clearer to the eye in this photo. Once again they are comparatively priced with Lioni's so why would I even try, someday I shall (maybe not).

Dying for some Lasagna Rollatini right now though.


The Lioni's storefront, Just Perfect.

While working at the glass shop which was to become Papa Pasquale I have a distinct memory of one of Lioni's artisans bringing Roy and myself some Bocconcini (mini Mozzarella Balls) just created and Fresh as can be, they melted in your mouth. I am sure we had Lioni's on the job a bit but I mostly remember ordering in Chinese Food. 


Aah, Delight of Delight's. The Breadcrumb Stuffed Peppers and Hot & Spicy too. This was the secret Ingredient Warhead to the number 25, The Louie Prima Hero (Genoa Salami, Hot Cappacolla, Pepperoni, Provolone, Swiss Cheese, Spicy Mustard and the above Stuffed Peppers) My Fave.


Today (12/30/13) I was not so afraid to snap some pics (what with the Mexican workers running to and fro with 12 foot Hero's in hand delivering to waiting automobiles outside for their pre-ordered Sammiches) and got a shot of a portion of the Menu board on display in this most unique of Sandwich shops.


Waiting to be picked up, another gorgeous display of the Craftsmanship at Lioni's.


Finally, It Is Time To Eat. Pictured here are Two originals as they are not on the Lioni's Menu and were hand crafted just for the occasion. Laying flat and to the bottom left is the "Connie Moroni" which consists of  (Genoa Salami, Provolone Cheese, Olive Salad/Muffaletta and Roasted Peppers) on the upper right is the "Jamie Moroni" which comprises (Prosciutto Di Parma, Fresh Lioni Mozzarella, Roasted Peppers and Lettuce) Both Amazingly Delicious.


Jamie prepared some Party Food (JalapeƱo Poppers, French Fries and Chicken Nuggets) and pictured here is a White Castle Cheeseburger for Papa Moroni.


Jamie Beheads Santa from Jaques Torres Chocolatier but I did not try any, Delicious I am sure.


3 Prosciutto Balls from Lioni's and the Best Prosciutto Ball in town. these were prepared around 11 p.m. in time for the midnight countdown and in Conchetta's brand new oven.






No comments:

Post a Comment