August 5, 2014

THE RICE BALL SPECIAL - Brooklyn, New York


I procured this Rice Ball Special ($5.75) from Aurora Pizza Caffe which is my local and very reputable place, I was kind of disappointed, maybe it was late in the day, maybe they did not like my Alice Cooper t-shirt, maybe they just didn't like me. 

Aurora does not serve their Rice Ball Special with Ricotta so I asked if they could add some, of course they did but I was charged Two extra Dollars ($7.75), this is fine but what I got was maybe (and I am being kind) 2 teaspoons of Ricotta. Nonetheless I will be back, this is one of the remaining strongholds.

On the plus side these are really good Rice Balls, not perfect but quite good and you get 2 Rice Balls as opposed to just one. On the minus side, they are not swimming in Sauce which is imperative to compensate for all the Rice, this is what I know of a Rice Ball Special, perhaps it has changed over the years, more news to come.


The Face of the Stronghold. Supposedly Excellent Bread can be found here as well.

While I was taking this photo very aware of traffic and considerate of pedestrians a passing car voyager said out the window "take a picture". I replied "Yeah, I'll take your picture Ya Jerk".

Quite funny to me afterwards as I noticed my own thick Brooklyn accent.



9/3/14 - PIZZA DEN - So I suppose the Brooklynese must always come out in some way or another when getting a Rice Ball Special or so the trend seems to be following. I called Pizza Den tonight via telephone to order ahead and go to pick up, they picked up and put me on a twenty second hold which is totally fine and I heard some ambient street sounds over the line. I order my Rice Ball Special and they hang up, OK totally fine, this is Brooklyn, they are on 86th street it is dinnertime, I go to pick up Rice Ball Special.

Me - Hi, Rice Ball Special, I called.

Him - I thought you hung up, maybe you wanted to order something else.

Me - No I thought you hung up or we got disconnected.

Him - No, I thought You hung up, You want a Rice Ball Special ?

Me - aaaaaaa (in an Italian stop breaking my balls and everything is forgiven just make my rice ball special and I don't care tone)

He did give me a twenty five cent discount at the end. Anyways, this was a Good Rice Ball Special and I don't really care for Pizza Den's Rice Balls, they are of the Grandma kind which is fine but its really Breaded White Rice with a few Peas and a wee bit of Chop Meat in the center. I did have to search around for the Ricotta too after thinking they had left it out which is the way it is going these days, the search continues.





1 comment:

  1. Have you tried the rice ball special at Joe's of Avenue U?

    ReplyDelete