June 2, 2014

TUNA SALAD & TOASTIES IN THE SPRINGTIME


Some Foods are photogenic but alas Tuna Salad is not, at least not to me but this is also such a common Food that a majority of Americans (since being an American living here my whole life I cannot speak for other cultures nor does Tuna Salad come up in conversation too often) have consumed since childhood and is a mainstay of the quick fix in a pinch but also is a Favorite "Mainstay" much like Ham & Cheese, Spaghetti and SPAM (I like Spam but it kinda has to be Fried).

Pictured above is the Classic Tuna Melt on an English Muffin which is a variation on a Melted Cheese Sandwich, Grilled Cheese Sandwich or a Toastie. The main criteria of a "Melt" being Cheese between two Slices of Bread and Melted by the heating process.

Any Ingredient your heart desires can be combined in a Cheese Toastie but I did once try Chocolate and Cheese (NOT in a Toastie) which are two of the Greatest things and Let Me Tell You,.... 

It Was Awful !!!, good thing I only did a test bite.

I for one do not care for the idea of Hot Tuna (no offense to the band or its fans) so here is my Tuna Melt Recipe wherein Cold Tuna Salad is added after the Melting process, as an aside my advice is to prepare the Tuna Salad and let chill in the Refrigerator for a minimum of 90 minutes and Do Not place in the Freezer to expedite temperature outcome.

OK, First Get a Bunch of Tuna Salad, Bread and Cheese and Toppings of your choice.

  • If you are using English Muffins Toast them first then place and tuck the overlapping Cheese Slice edges within the circumference upon the Toasted Muffin, Squish and let sit for 60 seconds.
  • If you are Grilling a Roll or round Bread then Butter or Margarine the inner side of the Bread and place facedown (Butter Side Down) in the heated pan to brown and cook, add Cheese and overlap edges (if need be) after the Toasting process.
  • If you are using square Bread then Butter the sides facing pan-side (outside) but add your desired amount of Cheese and possibly Toppings inside so it all gets Gooey and heats together.

Your work is done.

One Tablespoon of Tuna Salad should do the trick but of course this is all down to personal Taste. Place the chilled Tuna upon the warm Toastie along with your Toppings and you are done, It is not Rocket Science but it is a Culinary Encounter of the Simplest Kind.


This is not a Toastie but Tuna Salad is So Good that it even works on White Bread. 


OK, So I read a Recipe for "Grilled Kimcheeze" earlier tonight and as I was meaning to make a Grilled Cheese Sandwich in the first place and had Kimchi on tap I made one. Let us just say that Bacon, Ham or Tomato works much better but this was my experience, maybe if I had first sampled one from a Food truck who do make these I would have been Amazed.

The Kimchi of course did not detract from Delectability but was a bit of an obtuse duck in the mix.

A Grilled Cheese Toastie will work with just about any Pickled, Salty or even Flat taste and Kimchi is Pickly and Saltish.


I have posted a link below with the Recipe from "Serious Eats" and unlike my method they recommend to Grill the Bread, Add Cheese and Drained Kimchi then Repeat Grilling with Shortening on the Outer side, 

REPEAT !!!

OK Even I who am in Cholesterol Denial,...
BOTH SIDES !!!!

It Was Yummy.


No comments:

Post a Comment