June 30, 2014

MINUTE RICE, The Ninth Wonder of the World. (In Progress)


These used to be known as "the Recipe from the back of the box" but as time marches on they are now mainly known as "the online Recipe" sure there are still Recipes on the back of the box but my box of Minute Rice was adorned with a Chugginton Chugasonic Maze (Explorer Koko) on its back and lower down taking up 1/8th of the packaging graphics is a BBQ Cheeseburger and Rice Skillet Recipe, I suppose the kids need a maze to do while they wait one minute for their Rice to get done, aah the wonders of the modern atomic kitchen.

The time honored tradition of cooking Rice in Chicken Broth is tried and true and quite possibly the basis of Rice-A-Roni and there have been variations over the decades. One of these variations is using a can of condensed "Cream Of" Soup with a little water for a Creamy Sauce and it was high time I made one. And so it passed that in my middle age years that I bought my first box of Minute Rice, this is also known as "Instant Rice" as the kernels are cooked by steaming causing cracks in the Rice then dehydrated only to be rehydrated rapidly once added to Hot water.

I am extremely fussy about my Rice and this was just fine, maybe a little softish but better soft than too hard or underdone. Minute Rice is just fine in my book and its just what the Recipe called for (see link below) which came out perfectly on my first try.


No comments:

Post a Comment