May 27, 2014

ARROZ CON HABICHUELAS - RICE & BEANS Improvised.



OK, I think for my first time out I did do a pretty good job here, made a few mistakes but I was going by the Billion Youtube Recipes I viewed for Spanish Rice & Beans on offer, all in all I got a decent overview online. 

My first and Only BIG mistake was such a simple one, I used Tomato Paste as opposed to Tomato Sauce, BIG Difference here. Tomato PASTE due to its density and higher Sugar level cooks and heats differently, fine to add to a Marinara or Bolognese Sauce to thicken it up but not so in the world of "In The Pot" work. Much like Overcooking the Garlic in an Italian Tomato Sauce the Paste Overcooked does indeed permeate the Dish, This was not so bad as the Rice Tastes Great but there is hint in the Beans that something has gone awry, Not inedible but not purrfect.

My friend Renee's Grandmother Nati who's mother founded a successful Tamale Restaurant (La Borinquena) which has been around since 1944 which is 70 Years at the time of this writing does indeed use Tomato Paste so maybe it was just something in my Cooking technique, go figure.



The Members of the Orchestra

Extra Virgin Olive Oil to coat the bottom of the pot.
Goya Red Kidney Beans in a can (drained) (15.5 0z)
Tomato Paste (6 oz) MISTAKE Here !!!
USE TOMATO SAUCE Not PASTE.
Goya Sofrito (Tomato) about two heaping spoonfuls.

Large smidgen of Polaner Chopped Garlic from the jar (its been hanging around), Fresh will do better.
Around 12 Spanish Olives (Pimiento Stuffed) halved.
Cherry Pepper Slices (Diced) to taste.
Packet of Sazon Achiote/Annatto
Salt, Garlic Powder, Black Pepper to taste.


Here is The Orchestra in action, After Heated to Boiling reduce to a Simmer and add 2 cups of Rice (I used Long Grain) and about 1 1/2 cups of Water as I was using 2 Cups of Rice, The Formula is 1 part Rice, 2 parts water However the Orchestra here constitutes a portion of Water so I used 1 1/2 Cups Water, You Follow Me here ?




No comments:

Post a Comment