March 31, 2019

IS THIS SOME KIND OF JOKE ? - Johns Deli - Brooklyn, New York.


Leaping at the chance for a Johns Deli BLT would be an understatement and being in the area I leapt, crashed and burned.

Years ago (and I am NOT looking through Pork colored lenses) their Bacon Sandwich was pretty much unequalled for a few reasons, first and foremost was they would not count the Slices placed on the Bread but prepare a well filled and rounded sandwich and the price was criminally cheap. A BLT Hero was four dollars but is now ten dollars in price, OK I understand inflation of the dollar and harbored no qualms concerning price, ten bucks is about the price of a Gourmet Hero.

The Buck Stops Here.

Gourmet this is Not. For starters I was kept away from witnessing the creation process which was part of the fun watching in awe as perhaps a half pound or more of Bacon was evenly distributed to fill the Sandwich. For many a year I would brag of this concept with my quote of "they don't even count the slices". 

Well from the looks of it Now They Do.
(see photo below).

Not to say I will never return for one of their trademark Home made Roast Beef, Melted Fresh Mozzarella, Fried Onions and signature Black Gravy Heros in the future but maybe this time on a Roll. I did actually see them prepping some Rolls with The Black Gravy so am glad that remains, even bought a side order of it one year for Thanksgiving.


A familiar sight which has now been slightly tainted. 

New Owners, remodeled interior, lacking in character,... all of this is fine but when the quality slips there is a problem. My sad Sandwich might be a case of Quantity over Quality but I should not be slightly upset EVER when eating Bacon. I would expect this Hero from the average corner Deli and not from (as advertised) a Best Heroes In Brooklyn location.

Brooklyn would not be known for its Hero Sandwiches if this was any example of Greatness.


Oh How The Mighty Have Fallen.

I can literally count the Slices.


The Hot Food showcase remains the same.

Unless of course that is old food on display.

Always good to see Mozzarella Carozza on offer.


This used to be my playground.


No comments:

Post a Comment