March 3, 2019

HOSPITAL FOOD - (DELIRIOUS, APATHETIC & HUNGRY) - SUMMER 2018


Firstly, I would like to welcome myself back to composing this here BLOG. It has been some time and as the title implies I have been rather apathetic what with work and as is the subject of this entry Hospitalization, all is well Dear Reader. Tis' but a scratch, but enough of this self centered Mumbo Jumbo, this is all about FOOD and not Me.

Hospital Food is NOT a Culinary Delight to truly celebrate but,... Well, It Is Different.

This page shall return to Yummier Pastures forthcoming.

When placed under circumstances wherein one is stifled to go about as one pleases the Mealtime becomes even moreso a highlight of the day even with the Food being of a lower quality in certain respects. It may be somewhat tasteless but in my experience is almost always Kosher.


Breakfast time is usually around 7 a.m. and this is always welcome as there is usually a 13 hour break between Dinner and the next mornings Meal.

Pictured above is the average Breakfast served at Lutheran Hospital.

 2 Juices (Apple & Cranberry this morning), Coffee (Cream and Sugar optional as is your choice of Tea instead), Unsalted Margarine (a useless and Tasteless product), Single Serve Dry Cereal (Milk optional), Oatmeal (too Watery for my liking) and the creme de la creme on the platter to me. Chobani Greek Yogurt. 


This could be Dinner or Lunch, probably Lunch.

Mashed Potatoes with Gravy (always finished my serving), Salmon or Fish Paste, memory does not serve me well but I am sure they utilized a more Savory word in place of Paste but that is what it tasted somewhat like yet strangely retained the taste (couple of forkfuls, maybe finished it once) and Broccoli or Peas Paste (lucky to get me to even have a forkful, this was akin to warm baby Food).


Being somewhat adventurous I was rather pleased to find this served, Almost definitely Dinner.

Well, this might have been better with an Entire Loaf of Semolina Bread, yes I remember this well. Pretty much a Paste as well, not to be eaten with a Fork but with a Spoon, hence the usage of the description "Pureed".

Place Marinara Sauce, Overcooked Eggplant and Grated Cheese into a Blender and Pulverize it.

This is That.


The Classic Pitcher of Iced Water, much needed and a bedside companion but this was all about to change.


BROOKLYN CENTER (Rehabilitation Center).

The concept of Pitcher did not exist here, you might get a cup of room temperature water if you wanted to ring the nurses station for about 35 minutes at 2 a.m.

More about me again but briefly, After being discharged from Lutheran I was sent to a Physical Rehab center, this was rather horrific and certainly depressing. The Food Quality level went down on many levels but what they do get an "A" for effort on is that most dishes (I am being too kind) were home made for some part (yes the Veggies, etcetera were canned/pre packaged in most instances but not all). 

For exmple I enjoyed their Boneless Jerk Chicken.


Breakfast Brooklyn Center style. Also looked upon with anticipation (14-15 hour gap between Dinner and the morrows Brekkie), they would often serve a Dixie Cup of Ice Cream or a two pack of Cookies with a Cup of Juice about 10 hours prior to the next mornings Breakfast and this is why I had friends bring me junk Food (Cookies,Crackers,even Cheese to stash in my bedside table) to curb my hunger at 3 a.m.

It appears to be going downhill sire.

2 Whole Milks (they kept giving me Low Fat and I kept chasing down the nurse to switch them out with Whole), Coffee (Milk and Sugar optional), a solo Cup of Orange Juice, Packaged Whole Wheat Bread once again served with that useless and tasteless Unsalted Margarine, Generic Rice Krispies (sometimes it was generic Corn Flakes or Raisin Bran) and a cup of Cottage Cheese, this surprisingly did I gain a Taste for but have not purchased from the Supermarket since coming home.

Often a Hard Boiled Egg in a styrofoam Cup was served and I would just let that be sent back as well as the Watery Grits, the Oatmeal tended to be on the overly moist side but was decent one time (must have been an oversight).


Tis' A Mans Life In The Army.

No wonder I looked so much forward to meals if this is what I got to look at for most of the day. 
I did get quite a bit of reading done though.


Not wholly sure what this is but will surmise it to be Sliced Beef with Onions, Rice and Beans and String Beans both overdone and underdone possibly if you notice the color variation, however I have since learned I believe that there is a lighter and darker String Bean. 
Of course Coffee was served with all meals.


Kind of a strange styrofoam plate.

Peas, Carrots & Corn (obviously from the can), String Beans (also canned) and home made Mac & Cheese which was not awful.

Odd not to find Meat or Fish in the mix.


And it is usually correctly stated "Please Shut or Turn Off the light" but none other than Jim Woodring corrected me on Facebook informing me that the "switch" does indeed have to be open or closed for electrical current to flow.

Anyway, Apologies for making this FOOD BLOG a tad Unsavory. 

STAY TUNED.




1 comment:

  1. Great to see you back on the keyboard. Welcome back! The pureed eggplant...that's tough. Hope you're feeling much better.

    ReplyDelete