March 22, 2019

FAST FOOD FALAFEL - SUBWAY, NEW YORK CITY


My initial thought on the concept of  Subway Sandwich offering Falafel as a choice was intriguing which was quickly followed by the fact that I had better try one pronto because this just isn't going to last, much less stand a snowballs chance in hell of proliferating to their standard daily Menu.

After giving this a little thought during my test run today at a Subway Sandwich store (I will not call this place a shop) on trendy 14th street I pondered the fact of the many Vegetarians on the face of the planet who feel that Deep Fried Chick Peas might be a healthy choice.

I just plain like them.

So maybe the Falafel Sub will stick around, Only Time Will Tell.


9 Falafel Balls lay in wait for the next customer.


The Falafel Sub being prepared. 

First Six Balls (lets face it more like McNugget sized Patties) are placed on the Bread of your choice, in my case it is my go to, The Italian Herbs & Cheese Bread and heated in a microwave/convection oven


Then comes the mandatory and vaguely elaborate "toppings" portion of the Sandwich but we are almost all familiar with this back from the Blimpie days of yore.

Subway jumped the Blimpie gun with a wider array of toppings and fresh baked Bread that nary is there a Blimpies (sandwich location) to be found, at least in the five boroughs compared to the Dunkin Donutesque wide berth and stronghold that Subway and Starbucks has this city practically on their tastebuds and knees with.

Time for my premeditated move as I have actually put some forethought towards this moment and decided to get the typical Falafel Fixings and nothing fancy to obliterate any taste nuances inherent herein.

Cucumber, Tomato, Iceberg Lettuce, Bermuda Onion and Extra Tzatziki Sauce was called upon.

The Falafel Patties were exactly as to be expected from Subway, I have had better and I have had worse. Could use a tad more seasoning but the texture was just about right and I could tell it was Falafel with my eyes closed (not that I did close my eyes except to blink). All in all the Sandwich I had been intrigued with came out on the positive side but I will probably stick with the Italian B.M.T.


Prepared to pay five bucks for a six inch sub it was surprising to see the foot long on sale for such a price ($4.99) and in Manhattan of all places.


The window display campaign, suitable for framing.

No comments:

Post a Comment