April 15, 2016

18th AVENUE/LYDIA'S BAKERY - Brooklyn, New York


For my entire life (since the teenage years) this has been the place. Did I purchase often ? the answer is no.

Were they always there and seen as a stronghold of the neighborhood, YES.

Eighteenth avenue Bakery's reputation has grown over and over again exponentially just from word of mouth spouted amongst my loved ones with a repeated ensconcement of appreciation.



Cannoli - I cannot first hand review the Cannoli as I did not have a taste but I hear that the Cake itself was lacking in Flavor and Character. This is reported to be four star and not five, Not Too Shabby.

You can't win them all, can you.


Napoleon - How very interesting this was as I have been on a Napoleon Hunt as of late.

Filled with Boston Cream as opposed to "Cake" Cream (Whippy Cream for those in the know) made this a surprising and welcome Tart to be reckoned with.

Thus far this is an anomaly and one that shall be revisited on my next sojourn.


Seven Layer Pastry - I was so looking forward to this.
 An oversized 7 Layer Cookie in a Pastry form.

Bit of a let down as it was lacking the Amaretto Overtones expected but still a great purchase and Yummy too.


Apple Coffee Cake - And a HUGE piece was sold to me. I didn't ask and she didn't question.

This may have been the crowning achievement of all these Pastries and will I get it again, Hells YEAH.

Nothing bad to say, Just Delicious.


The "Soft Loaf".

I ate this mother all by myself in one sitting.

Cristina had a sample but I ate it all. Delicious and Soft. Marone.


5/16 - Semolina Loaf -


9/1 - An Assortment of...

Cristina was running some errands on 18th avenue so we made a trip to Lydia's for goodies. Cristina got a half pound of 7 layer Cookies and Butter Cookies along with a Chocolate Cannoli, she gifted me a Brownie and Chocolate Eclair.

Chocolate Cannoli - Good dipped Chocolate but not enough Cream is Cristina's review. 

Chocolate Eclair - I chose an Eclair in great part because of the sign in the entryway espousing the greatness of their Eclairs which was absolutely true. Thick Rich Chocolate, Fresh Whipping Cream, Dense Vanilla moist in a pastry style Cake with REAL Boston Creme filling, I am not a Huge Eclair fan but give me a dozen of these and I will surely become one.

Brownie - Just a Quality Bakery Brownie, very dense with proper Chocolate Icing. The Cherry on the Cannoli in the photo was originally from the Brownie but Cristina wanted it.


Cream Puff (Cannoli Cream) - One of the Elder Cakes in the Bakery canon, I know of Cream Puffs from the Shirley Temple/Laurel & Hardy/Little Rascals idiom and I might be wrong on all counts of any mention from the accused on film or recording but yet I had never tried one myself.

Thanks to Cristina's mom for the leftovers but these were quite simple yet gracious of a pastry. Cut an airy Biscuit of Cake in half, Fill with Cream, in the case photo here it is Cannoli Cream, Regular Cream is also available.



No comments:

Post a Comment