February 6, 2016

BROCCOLI RABE, WE SALUTE YOU.


With greater frequency do I find myself enjoying the Broccoli Rabe (Rapini), as a matter of fact you might call 2015 my personal Year of the Rabe.


The Rabe comes de-stalked in its package but further de-stalking is recommended.

This is how one becomes a stalker.


The blanching/boiling process to get those stems nice and tender.

Let's make the water turn green.


Colander with a side of Garlic.


OH WHAT AN AWESOME SIGHT (and smell).

Garlic sauteing in EVOO.


Prepared Broccoli Rabe unadorned.


Serve with your choice of side dish (not included).

Next I'm going to try it "Vitale" style.




The Laura Vitale Youtube clip (as long as the link works).


The "Vitale" method of separating the Clove from its skin works a charm. Many may use this method but it is new to me as I was attracted to the delicate and detailed side of removing the head and tail of the Clove and skinning it. Pummeling the Clove into submission skin and all with just the tail removed saved much time.

Removing the Wheat from the Chaff as it were.


Many Chef's skip the Blanching/Boiling process and go right for the Steaming/Frying aspect. As I Blanched so as to make the stems softer this skips that step as the stems have been discarded.


Skipping the blanching/boiling did indeed prove to my tastebuds a grand success retaining the bitterness of the beast therein and stalk removal also enhanced the digestive Mangia process.

A slight yearning for the Stalk remained (intact stems provided a relief) so I will one up this and contain Diced Boiled Stalk in my next endeavor.


MSG gets in on the act yet again courtesy of Christina.



No comments:

Post a Comment