July 28, 2014

CIRCLES CAFE 7/26/14 Brooklyn, New York


This is the Original Circles Cafe in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn my birthplace. I have Loved Circles Cafe since the 80s, we used to get Pitchers of Margaritas there and Mexican Food Galore, at least at this location it seems no more. They had a Grilled Genoa Salami Sandwich with Mozzarella on the Menu and me and Joe became almost flustered about this. OK Sure Grill it to Melt the Mozzarella but Heated Genoa Salami, No Need, anyways I digress.

My stronghold Pancho's Restaurant two blocks earlier appears to have been sold to a lesser family not withholding the traditions and Recipes of their forebears, you see it only takes One Sub Standard (by Pancho's standards) Burrito to spoil the broth so we passed it without a thought, this was sad, However I digress.

My bandmates (The Good Yeggs) and I arrived about 150 minutes too early for soundcheck or even setting up our gear so we had plenty of time to settle in for a snack and as it goes in a pleasurable and lackadaisical mood we pounced forth for some much needed Grub and Nourishment (and I was starving so this should have been Delicious). Aah, Circles, Yes We All know this place.

After pondering the Menu we decided on Burgers, this was quite the menu but I relate it to a Jackson Pollock work, I mean Lo Mein was on offer and some "cutesie" dishes with cutesie names, Circles has certainly changed, the only Mexican dish I saw was Nachos fer chrissake, OK Calm The Eff Down !!! this is not a negative experience.

The negativity continues.

While Joe, Tom and I waited an eternity for our Food we discussed old times and future plans and then the Burger Platters arrived. I did ask as we ordered not to include the "roughage" on Toms plate as he does consider this an insult and many starving countries may enjoy this Tomfoolery of wastage in ejecting such but it wound up in the back bin. 

OK Food Blog, on with the Food. 

Circles Cafe has a Unique take on things (yeah right) as they serve their Burgers on an English Muffin, its even touted as an English Burger (about $7.00) on the Menu and of this no Yegg complained and we dug in. 

After my second or probably first bite I turned to my Food Guru and confidante Joe and said "I think these are meat market Burgers" (the pre-made kind) but Joe consoled me that they were not shaped conformly and not to worry. I must say in a mysterious sentence of Qabbalistic nature that the taste reminded me of something from my youth, when my mom would serve me a Burger with Mashed Potatoes instead of French Fries it did change the taste on the Bud, maybe no one will understand but there was a different taste, not better, not worse just different.

All in All my bandmates enjoyed this Meal more than I did. The Fries were thin and I prefer Steak Fries where you can actually Taste Potato, The Burger was maybe Average by Diner standards MAYBE, the Salad was quite good (I should have let Thomas get his and taken it over to my plate) and the Beer was bottled which has nothing to do with Circles Cafe.

Next time Im getting the Lo Mein.



1 comment:

  1. I didn't really like it and wouldn't go back. I just wasn't expecting much so I didn't complain.

    ReplyDelete