May 1, 2015

L & B SPUMONI GARDENS 5/1/15 Brooklyn, New York


THREE SQUARE MEALS A DAY.

The Sicilian Slice from L & B Spumoni Gardens is certainly my favorite "Square" and perhaps my cohorts as well whom I accompanied this evening, being Roberta (Billy Joel song), Sarah Crazy Child (Tyrannosaurus Rex song) and your narrator Spike (Tom Petty song) and what is not be agreed upon, Just Perfect.

A bit non-conformist and leading the pack placing the Cheese directly on the Dough and the Sauce on top making it quite a "backwards" Slice,... or is it ?



L & B's House Salad (Romaine Lettuce, Red Cabbage, Olives, Tomato, Radish, Red Onion) was shared amongst us and is available for weddings, bar mitzvahs and bat mitzvahs alike. At the end only some poor Radishes were left, none of us has ever purchased a Radish in real life nor possibly in the dream world as well but we all agreed and no offense but Radishes taste like Dirt, well they are grown IN the dirt so perhaps they retain this from their infancy.


The Rice Ball Appetizer - I did order Parmigiana so I think they got it wrong as charging $1.50 extra for a light dusting of Grated Cheese seems without warrant, HOWEVER these proved themselves quite formidable as they were the Rice Ball proper or at least the kind with Meat and Peas inside, I can still taste it now. 

Oh Wait, I have one as a leftover and I shall taste it again.

YUMMYYUMMYYUMMYYUMMYYUMMYYUMYUMYUMBURP.


And here you see that "The Proof Is In The Rice Ball"

(Sicilian Slice in the background not included) 

Incidentally as Roberta did not order a Sicilian Slice at the beginning of the evening they threw one in for free. This is extremely nice, good customer service, good business and perfect Pizza symmetry.

And perhaps an inherent fear and reverence for Raphanus, the Radish King of Venus.


Penne a la Vodka with Grilled Chicken, need I say more ?. OK I will

Penne a la Vodka with Grilled Chicken.

The Pasta was done perfectly just under Al Dente in a savory yet mild Vodka Sauce and there were little Mushrooms singing to us from the plate. Sarah Crazy Child swore it was a Macklemore song but Roberta refuted that it was in fact Taylor Swift and I suggested Klaus Nomi so we agreed to disagree and dug in. 

Actually I was late to the game as I was still contemplating a Rice Ball that was singing in a contralto voice "Who Wants To Live Forever" from my plate.

Did someone put something in our water ?


Sarah Crazy Child does not care for the Olive and while me and Roberta protested she plopped them onto her plate and then onto mine. "doop, doop, doop" they went and were quickly speared and devoured.

The Olive Garden has nothing on Spumoni Gardens.

Great Food, Great Evening.





2 comments:

  1. Radishes are cool! Give 'em a shot. I love green olives tho. Reads like a fairy tale. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to re-visit that evening of Sicilians, silliness and spontaneity. I am grateful for this blog, and you. ;)

    ReplyDelete