March 29, 2014

THE ARABIATA SLICE


This was just one of the most Amazing things I have ever tasted, Possibly the Greatest Pizza Topping ever but in this case the Pizza almost takes a secondary position. Mind you I added zero spices to the Broccoli di Rabe (not even Salt or Red Pepper Flakes) and this was still Delicious but the first thing that impressed my palate was the balance that the Hot Cherry Peppers brought to the table. I had the first few bites unadorned and then dare I say, I may have even improved on it with some Sausage and Grated Romano Cheese. Why this is not a common Topping in Pizzerias is beyond me, Just Stellarlicious.

The definition of the Italian word Arabbiata is "Angry"

In this case (King Umberto's calls it the Ariabiata Slice) I suppose they are referring to the Hot Cherry Peppers atop the Broccoli Rabe and possibly the Garlic therein. This slice only made me Happy and Angry when there was no more to be had.

About a week ago my friend Frank posted a pic on Facebook (see below) with this very combination and the seed was sown. Broccoli Rabe and Diced Cherry Peppers on a Grandma Slice sounded Fantastic and so it is.


First step is get a bunch of Broccoli Rabe. 

Jamie is the Rabe master and begins at step two but last time I made some it came out a little underdone so I Steamed mine for a few minutes before (step two) Sautéing in EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) and a Bunch of smashed Garlic Cloves. 


I purchased (1) Grandma Slice ($2.50) from Pizza Den who makes a passable one. Remove the Bay Leaf and top with Broccoli Rabe and Diced Hot Cherry Peppers.


I almost did not add this pic but look at how Majestic she looks before being placed in a heated oven at 400 degrees for 7 minutes (5-6 minutes would be fine as well).


And the finished product on display flanked by some Italian Sausages (the Fennel kind) and a Big Bowl of Rabe.


3/31/14 - Exactly 50 strands of Linguini which I broke in half doubling it to 100 strands.


Fifty Linguini's does not a single serving make, Seventy Five may do well and One Hundred may overflow just a tad. 

In the bowl is Linguini, Hot Cherry Peppers, Broccoli Rabe, Sliced Sausage, Pecorino Romano Grated Cheese and Red Pepper Flakes. Once again no Salt or Pepper needed.


The initial photo that set this boat sailing. 

This was taken at King Umberto's in Elmont, Long Island and once I saw it I was in Awe and I am no stranger to Food Pics.




2 comments:

  1. Glad I was able to inspire this blog, just one correction King Umberto's is is Elmont, Long Island, NY - not New Jersey where I now live. I use to live near Elmont and frequent Umberto's several times a week, now I go there about once a month when on Long Island, but like I said there is not a place yet of this type in New Jersey anywhere near as good as Umberto's and if they opened a 2nd location in Bergen County, Ridgewood, Paramus,Ramsey, Mahwah area they would put many places around here out of business - Oh yeah God save the KinKs - Frank Lima -aka Dan the Fan from Mahwah New Jersy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have corrected it, Now bring Ray in for a taste.

      Delete