September 16, 2013

NEW DYKER RESTAURANT 9/13 Brooklyn, New York


While making Meatloaf at home is a gratifying process it is also time consuming, add to that the Mashed Potato preparation is also a bit of a project so every now and then you just want your Goddamn Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes served to you and this is what I did. New Dyker Restaurant has always been right there on the busy block of 85th street and 18th avenue sandwiched between a convenience store/smoke shop, Sushi place, Tarot card reader along with a Dunkin Donuts, West End Bakery, Pizza Den and another convenience store on the opposite corner. I have eaten there maybe twice and it is an average diner at best but there is always the "chatter" from the old timers having their Coffee and Danish to make me feel right at home in Brooklyn proper.

I ordered a "take-out" of Meatloaf with Mashed Potatoes and Corn (and Don't Forget The Gravy) ($12.50) and it did the job and was pretty much what I expected. At first there was a somewhat indiscernible sweet taste to the Meatloaf slices of which three thick slabs came in my order, I was thinking Rosemary ?, Nutmeg ? after a bit I decided it was the Ketchup the Meatloaf was basted in before baking but that was just fine in my book. This was served with Corn (upon my request) and Mashed Potatoes (Real and not powdered) which were just slightly watery but almost perfect.

Waiting on my food I was glancing at the Menu and the man on duty (probably shop owner) said "go ahead you can take one". I told him I had taken one (which I had) and mentioned to him "I was just looking to see if you made a Lime Rickey" to which he replied "of course, all you need is Cherry Syrup and Lime Syrup" to which I replied "But it's not on the menu", he said "aah, there are millions of things, we missed it when making the menu" I said "I will be back for the Lime Rickey" and I will, I Do Love me a Lime Rickey.


Along with my Dinner was offered Soup or Salad, I opted for the Soup. Chicken Noodle and Chicken Rice came up first but then was mentioned the Beef Barley and I chose that one. This was from the tin most obviously and was composed of the Vegetable/ ABC soup Beef stock, fine by me.


My order also came with Bread sliced old school of which I saved for sandwiches later on in the house.

My Take-Out order was also well stocked and came with 2 packets of Sunshine Krispy Saltines (for the Soup), 1 Butter Patty (I suppose for the Bread but I used it on the Corn), 2 packets each of "Chef's Quality" Salt and Pepper, Napkins and 1 Fork, 1 Spoon and 1 Butter Knife (Plastic).


9/21/13 - Cheeseburger Deluxe


The Lime Rickey



New Dyker Restaurant store front.



No comments:

Post a Comment