February 13, 2013

TWO BOOTS 2/12/13


Jamie celebrates Carnival (pronounced Karnivale' or Karn Evil 9) every year and one of the best places (for atmosphere) to party up is Two Boots of Brooklyn. The first two (boots) locations I knew of were in Greenwich Village and were mainly Pizzerias with maybe a dozen "specialty" slices named after pop culture stars, I favored the Mr. Pink which was Marinated Chicken, Plum Tomatoes, Fresh Garlic and Mozzarella and there was a Cajun Seafood slice that I did not like as much but it was certainly unique. Two Boots also put Corn Meal on the underside of their Pizza which was also interesting and I also had my first Po' Boy Sammich there but enough of the Pizza Etymology and lets fast forward twenty years.


It's so good that Jamie and myself ordered the same thing, namely the Chicken Fried Steak with a choice of two sides, These two sides are also so good that we ordered the same thing, Mashed Potatoes and Greens (Collard Greens). While we ate every last bite it also occurred to us that this is not gourmet dining as we sent our Steaks back because they were a little "gamey" and even the second plates still had some game in them. The authentic recipe for Chicken Fried Steak is Cube or Minute Steak which can and most likely will be "gamey" so I cannot really complain and you will find me there next Carnival ordering you guessed it,... Chicken Fried Steak.


For Appetizer the Fried Okra with Dipping Sauce.








It's Not Carnival without a slice of King Cake, this one was on the dry side unfortunately but still Kingly in manner.


Jamie's sister Carol was out of town so we stayed at her place a few blocks away. Afraid I might not be able to sleep since Jamie keeps a normal sleeping Schedule and I probably awoke at 3 p.m. that day I picked up some cerveza at the Deli downstairs, a Beer drinker I have become less of over the years and it was difficult to imbibe Malt Liquor at 4 a.m. when i awoke while watching "Everybody Loves Raymond" and the famous Spanish Bumblebee sitcom "Channel Ocho" so when Jamie left for work at 10ish I left my leftovers by the corner mailbox and trashcan in hopes that a vagabond or transient might appreciate this gift. But this is Park Slope and transient vagabonds are in short supply.

No comments:

Post a Comment