October 27, 2013

SILVER STAR RESTAURANT 10/14/13 - Brooklyn, New York


So Jamie (Not Charlie's brother) & Charlie planned a trip to Silver Star of which I am always prepared for and it was Charlie's first time back for maybe 15-20 years, This was a most exciting prospect since Silver Star makes American style Chinese Food the way it was done in the 1940s and onwards and is far superior to the Chinese Food you find on every next block in New York, Only Chinatown eateries rival them. Charlie pretty much knew what he wanted so we let him order first and shared Appetizers which is the way to go with Chinese Food. We also brought two bottles of Wine with us (A Chardonnay I believe and a bottle of Trader Joe's two buck chuck Cabernet Sauvignon) as Silver Star has a B.Y.O.B. policy and they supplied the corkscrew and glasses. Food, wine and conversation followed flowing freely.


Shrimp Toast - To Perfection, the shrimp is desiccated but not too much, you can still feel the texture, a Favorite of mine and this is just one order, a Healthy serving.


Fried Stuffed Shrimp - On my quest to try most items on the Menu I ordered this appetizer of choice, the Batter could have spent maybe another 20 seconds in the hopper as I detected just a little underdone towards the center, Mostly Batter with "halved" Shrimp inside.


Barbecued Spare Ribs - Fried Stuffed Shrimp Slice, Spare Rib and Lemon Wedge. Charlie has a "Spare Rib" Theory (Quantum Rib Theory) wherein you order a Large order so they prepare the "Wibs" Fresh, a smaller order can just be reheated in the kitchen. Jamie was a little Tipsy and had a Foodgasm over the wine and rib combination. Gimmie A Wib !!!


Chicken Chow Fun - Jamie ordered a plate of this and it was done to perfection, the wait staff forgot to bring this to the table so we re-ordered it toward's the end of the Appetizers.


Ice Cream - for Desert you have a choice of Jell-O, Pineapple Chunks or Ice Cream. Ice Cream usually wins. Jamie - Chocolate, Charlie - Vanilla, Me - Strawberry.


(L to R) - Spike, Jamie, Charlie. So here I am with Jamie and Charlie, albeit the female Jamie.

10/27/13 - 13 days later and I was back.


Wonton Soup - I usually get the Hot & Sour Soup but went with the Wonton this time.

Just a week later and I returned to Silver Star on my own, you see I was going to order Pork Chop Suey the night with Jamie and Charlie but the Appetizers proved too much. I never in all these years have had their Chop Suey as I always opt for the Chow Mein and wanted to try "Old School" Chop Suey with the logic that in the 1940s and 50s I bet that Chow Mein and Chop Suey were most popular and I swear by their Chow Mein. Say that ten times fast.

(I do not think I have ever read a sentence with that many Chop Suey and Chow Mein's in it).


Roast Pork Chop Suey - this was Delicious but maybe the least of their dishes, Kind of like a Really Good Pork with Mixed Vegetables. This consisted of Roast Pork, Water Chestnuts, Bok Choy, Snow Pea Pods and maybe some Onion, BUT THANK GOD NO BABY CORN !!!.


Roast Pork Chop Suey topped with Crispy Noodles.


$8.10, unheard of, Soup, Meal, Ice Cream, Tea, Crispy Noodles. Ten Bucks after tip.

No comments:

Post a Comment